Couple of days ago I tidied up the basement and found old golf membership cards. I tend to collect them in one place but apparently I had a bunch of them in a different spot – like always when you are looking for something.
What I realized to my surprise was that my handicap, not that long ago, was much better than the one today. I play tournaments regularly and my handicap is adjusting to that, but it seems that for too long now my handicap only knew one direction: up.
So this is going to change now.
More focus on training, a more reliable swing, intelligent course management and ball striking with the longer woods. That’s my approach for this year.
Needless to say that most of the deficiencies have their origin in suboptimal striking, a non-consistent swing and too little training or play, but the equipment of course plays its role, too. So I’m happy to trust my PING G400 set: driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 19° hybrid, irons from 4 to 9, then W, U, S and L from the same set, plus my trusty Scotty Cameron California Del Mar putter.
Off to a new handicap in 2018, new personal records and a new small number on the 2019 membership card! #project12 #break80
I just wanted to let you guys know that I quite recently bought a new set of clubs. You might be aware that I used to be a huge Acushnet fanboy and that I owned everything from Titleist, Scotty Cameron, Bob Vokey, FootJoy, etc. (Well, no Pinnacle to be fair). But I realised I have to move on. Which I did.
I got fitted for a complete set of the PING G400 range and couldn’t resist to order.
So far, my experiences are a bit so-so. These are great clubs, but I guess I have to adapt to the following:
- Graphite shafts. Never had those in irons before.
- Cast irons. Was used to forged so far.
- Chunky looks. I will get used to the wider sole and the brushed material.
- Distances. Are completely off, notable longer but unfamiliar.
- 0.75° upright. Yeah, that’s a toughie to be honest, completely new stance, especially for pitches
- PW, UW, SW, LW same range as irons. No such thing as the Vokey feel around the green unfortunately, but easy for full shots.
Other than that, they are damn good. Can’t wait to sport them next year to get me down to a new all-time low handicap… Fingers crossed.
So, this is what’s in my bag for 2018:
- Driver: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 10.5°
- 3 Wood: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 14.5°
- 5 Wood: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 17.5°
- Hybrid 3: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 19°
- Irons: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 4-PW, UW, SW, LW
- Putter: Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
And yes, I know that’s 15 clubs… #shhhh