I just wanted to let you guys know that I quite recently bought a new set of clubs. You might be aware that I used to be a huge Acushnet fanboy and that I owned everything from Titleist, Scotty Cameron, Bob Vokey, FootJoy, etc. (Well, no Pinnacle to be fair). But I realised I have to move on. Which I did.
I got fitted for a complete set of the PING G400 range and couldn’t resist to order.
So far, my experiences are a bit so-so. These are great clubs, but I guess I have to adapt to the following:
- Graphite shafts. Never had those in irons before.
- Cast irons. Was used to forged so far.
- Chunky looks. I will get used to the wider sole and the brushed material.
- Distances. Are completely off, notable longer but unfamiliar.
- 0.75° upright. Yeah, that’s a toughie to be honest, completely new stance, especially for pitches
- PW, UW, SW, LW same range as irons. No such thing as the Vokey feel around the green unfortunately, but easy for full shots.
Other than that, they are damn good. Can’t wait to sport them next year to get me down to a new all-time low handicap… Fingers crossed.
So, this is what’s in my bag for 2018:
- Driver: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 10.5°
- 3 Wood: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 14.5°
- 5 Wood: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 17.5°
- Hybrid 3: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 19°
- Irons: PING G400, Alta CB stiff, 4-PW, UW, SW, LW
- Putter: Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
And yes, I know that’s 15 clubs… #shhhh